New Moon’ tops weekend box office at $140.7 millionNovember 23, 2009 at 9:04 am | Posted in Lifescape | 1 Comment
Tags: Box office, Dark Knight, Hollywood.com, New Moon, Paul Dergarabedian, Summit Entertainment, Twilight, Twilight Saga: New Moon
Vampire-werewolf movie breaks record for single-day gross
“New Moon,” a Summit Entertainment film, also posted the biggest single-day gross of $72.7 million when it opened Nov. 20, surpassing the previous record of $67.2 million set by “The Dark Knight,” the entertainment Web site said.
Paul Dergarabedian, president of Hollywood.com’s box-office unit, attributed the movie’s success to its appeal to young people.
“‘New Moon’ perfectly combines the type of romance and fantasy that young girls (and not-so-young ones) find absolutely irresistible,” he said in an e-mail.
Related articles by Zemanta
- ‘New Moon’ midnight showings earn record $26.3 mil (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- ‘New Moon’ Smashes ‘Dark Knight’s’ Opening Day Record! (cinematical.com)
- ‘New Moon’ banks at box office (cnn.com)
- First look: ‘New Moon’ opens to massive $140.7 million, $248.8 million worldwide (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- ‘New Moon’ poised for biggest box office day ever (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- New Moon Takes Down The Dark Knight (manolith.com)
- ‘New Moon’ drives second-biggest weekend ever for movie industry (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- ‘New Moon’ Takes Record $72.7M Box Office Bite (abcnews.go.com)
- With $72.7 Million, ‘New Moon’ Sets New Opening Day Record (nytimes.com)