Tags: Harry Potter, Kids and Teens, Lake Shore Drive, Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Science museum
By broom, by apparition, by Lake Shore Drive, get to MSI for a Potter fix
I almost don’t want to tell you how cool the new “Harry Potter: The Exhibition” show at the Museum of Science and Industry is, because I’m afraid I’ll spoil it for you. If you don’t know the difference between an Acromantula and a Firebolt, then you might not care anyway. But if you’ve seen and enjoyed the movies (and/or the books), you really, really need to go see this exhibit, which opens Thursday. It’s that cool. And don’t be afraid to geek out when you see (yeah, I’m going to have to give some stuff away; I’ll be gentle): ….
Tags: Health, IPhone, Smartphone
And the winner is IntuApps, which has Swine Flu Tracker, waiting for approval from Apple before it’s released into the App Store. IntuApps’ Barry Schwartz, who is also a blogger, sent along some screenshots of the app. In it, you can see the current Threat Level for the disease, a map showing confirmed and suspected cases, a symptoms area to inform people, and an alert page for breaking news on Swine Flu.
IntuApps is an iPhone app shop. Notably, they made the Swine Flu Tracker app in April 2009.
Tags: Canadian House of Commons, Gordon Brown, Gurkha, James Callaghan, Labour, Liberal Democrat, Nick Clegg, Politics
MPs voted by 267 to 246 in favour of a Lib Dem motion that all Gurkhas be offered an equal right of residence.
It is the biggest Commons victory achieved by the Liberal Democrats since their formation two decades ago, and is the first time a government has lost an opposition day debate since James Callaghan in January 1978. For me it gives hope to those who had lost faith in politicans to do the right thing.
I can only endorse the view expressed by Nick Clegg who said the symbolic vote was a “victory for decency”.
Related articles by Zemanta
- You’d think Labour couldn’t go on. But they probably will (guardian.co.uk)
- Brown suffers shock Gurkha defeat (guardian.co.uk)
- Brown Suffers Symbolic Defeat On Gurkhas (news.sky.com)
- Expenses Row: MPs Vote On Tightening Claims (news.sky.com)
- Brown bruised after Gurkhas defeat (guardian.co.uk)
- Climbdown for Brown on expenses (guardian.co.uk)
- Key test of Brown’s authority as MPs vote on expenses reform (guardian.co.uk)
- Brown raises stakes in expenses battle (guardian.co.uk)
- Gordon Brown’s waking nightmare (guardian.co.uk)
- MPs Agree Reforms After Govt ‘Humiliation’ (news.sky.com)
- Is Your Goal Growth? Empower your Employees with Social Media. (kylelacy.com)
Tags: Africa, African National Congress, ANC, Congress of the People, Democratic Alliance, Jacob Zuma, National Congress, South Africa
South Africa’s ruling African National Congress (ANC) has won the country’s general election, but has fallen just shy of a two-thirds parliamentary majority that would have empowered it to make changes to the constitution.
Final results gave the party 65.9 per cent of the vote, equivalent to 264 seats in South Africa’s 400-seat parliament
The party’s credentials for ending white minority rule were more important for many voters than its heavily criticised record on fighting poverty, violent crime and HIV/AidsIn his victory speech on Saturday, Jacob Zuma, the ANC leader, said that South Africa’s next president would be a “president for all”.
“Working together we will make it a government for all South Africans,” said Zuma, who is now set to be elected president when parliament convenes on May 6.
Zuma’s ANC lost the support of four per cent of voters since the 2004 elections [Reuters]
A newly formed party of ANC dissidents, the Congress of the People (Cope), failed to make a dramatic impact on the vote held last Wednesday, winning only 7.4 per cent of the vote.
The ruling party’s closest rival was the DA, with just over 16.7 per cent of the vote.
Zuma, 67, has assured investors in South Africa that he will not be dropping policies they are comfortable with, even though his trade union allies want more help for the poor.
Electoral officials estimated the turnout at more than 77 per cent, a little higher than in 2004.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Final Results Show Resounding Victory for A.N.C. in South Africa (nytimes.com)
- Which wife will become South Africa’s first lady? (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- ANC wins ‘outright poll majority’ (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Party starts early on South Africa’s vote (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Zuma vows to unite South Africa (news.bbc.co.uk)
- South Africa’s Election: Why It Matters (time.com)
- South African Election: Who Will Win and Why It Matters (time.com)
- Zuma’s challenges (news.bbc.co.uk)
- ANC gains over two-thirds of vote (news.bbc.co.uk)
- South Africa: After the Vote, the Battle for Zuma’s Soul (time.com)
- World Briefing | Africa: South Africa: Governing Party Claims Victory in Election (nytimes.com)
- Zuma expected to win South African elections (americablog.com)
- World Briefing | Africa: South Africa: Opposition Leader Seeks to Stop Zuma (nytimes.com)
- South African elections set for April (cnn.com)
- Expectations of ANC victory spark celebrations in South Africa (cbc.ca)
- A.N.C. Assured of Win in South African Vote (nytimes.com)
Take a tour of the world’s strangest places, where unexplained forces and bizarre illusions jam the signals of reality. Watch a video montage of Uta Kögelsberger’s photos and video taken during her month-long photo shoot of mystery spots.
Tags: Arts, Font, Foundries, Graphic design, Graphics, Individual Designers, Typography, Wallpaper
Related articles by Zemanta
- 22 Most Used Free Fonts By Professional Designers (web2list.com)
- Slick typographic apps: Hidden messages & more (blogs.adobe.com)
- Oh Right… Design (snarkmarket.com)
- “Do Not Lean” on the Inconsistent Font (gothamist.com)
- Book Review – TypeStyle Finder – Type & Font Inspiration (imjustcreative.com)
- Fonts Enhance Your Marketing (agentgenius.com)
- WhatTheFont for iPhone (threeminds.organic.com)
- 8 Simple Ways to Improve Typography In Your Designs (web2list.com)
- The Graffiti Desktop [Featured Desktop] (lifehacker.com)
- How to Add New Fonts in Windows 7 (taragana.com)
- Typography Two Ways: Calligraphy With a Twist (wired.com)
- Thank F**k For Helvetica Typography Poster (imjustcreative.com)
- Wonderful Typography Illustrations (icanhashappy.blogspot.com)
- 40+ Beautiful Robot Characters Illustration (web2list.com)
- Letterpress by Studio of Fire (neublack.com)
- …But Does It Float (yewknee.com)
- The New Ideal Calendar (joshspear.com)
- Complot Creativity School: H, D, Y (ibelieveinadv.com)